Strange Triumph Owners

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strange Triumph Owners
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:23:31 +0200
Cc: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Friends

Some Triumph owners are just plain strange .
A while ago an elderly man phoned and told me that he acquired a Spitfire Mk
3 . He needed some information and parts . Now I'm no expert and my
knowledge and parts are basically limited to Mk 1 and Mk 2 Spitfires , but I
loaded the required parts ( and a few books ) into the Triumph support
vehicle ( wife's VW ) and drove 320 Km to his house . Gave him the parts (
no money exchanged hands ) and went over his Spitfire with books in hand .
Really a  nice car  . Few things missing , incorrect and damaged beyond
repair .  Told him I'll go through my parts and let him know what I can help
him with .

Two days later he arrived unannounced ( without phoning first ) at my farm
and said he really needed the parts . I told him that I had not had the time
to sort through my parts , but we nevertheless went through some of it and I
once again gave him a few things ( NOS water pump , two very good engine and
gearbox  mountings etc. ) without excepting any money for it ( this is my
passion / hobby , not a business ) . We found some other parts ( correct
steering wheel , hinges , badges etc. ) that he also wanted , but I told him
I'll let him know since I had to make sure first whether or not I needed
those parts for my other projects . He didn't seem happy about it and went
home .

A few days later I informed him that he could have those parts , but he
started shouting at me and told me that I was wasting his time since he
drove all the way to me and I didn't want to give him all the parts he
wanted . Very rude .... ungrateful ... aargh I don't have the words .

Triumphs are so extremely rare / scarce in South Africa and it's just a real
pity that some ( definitely not all ) of the people involved with these cars
have lost the passion and spirit of the hobby .

Sincere apologies for the long ramblings of a passionate Triumph owner that
still try to keep the spirit of the hobby alive here in " Dark Africa "  .

Kind regards .
Chris de Wet .
TSCC ( SA ) membership number : 356 .
'56 TR 3 ( TS 10795 ) + '64 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 ( FC 25680 ) .

PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .
Telephone : 012-3398071 ( office ) or 012-2591129 ( home ) .
Cellphone : 083 9989744 .

Projects : '62 Herald 1200 Coupe , '65 Herald 12/50 ( convertible ) ,
'63 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 , '64 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 , '66 Spitfire 4 Mk 2 .

The information contained in this e-mail including any attachments is
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient
please reply immediately and delete this message.  Please do not make use of
it, nor disclose it's contents in any way.  Thank you.