Re: Unsprung Trailers?

To: <gt6driver@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Unsprung Trailers?
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:44:20 EST
In a message dated Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:10:59 AM Eastern Standard Time, john
donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com> writes:

<< I've been offered a free trailer frame, which would be a double axle except
that the axles are just stubs
which are rigidly attached to the frame...Any thoughts on using something like
this for transport duty? >>

>From my own (distant) past experience, I think the price is probably too high.
>;-) For one thing, an unsprung trailer essentially uses its tires as the only
>suspension -- kinda doubly tough on those tires. And I can vouch for the fact
>that it is an absolutely MISERABLE experience to tow an unsprung trailer
>without "cargo" on it. The bouncing on potholes, rumble strips, railroad
>crossings and cigarette butts is frightening, and it forever feels as if the
>trailer is trying to rip the entire rear of the tow vehicle off. And as I
>recall it didn't get a whole lot better WITH cargo.

Thank your friend politely and then run like he**; that's my advice. :-)

--Andy Mace