Re: TR6 Crank Shaft

To: levilevi <levilevi@home.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Crank Shaft
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:50:47 -0500 (EST)
Cc: DZ335@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, levilevi wrote:

> Bob,

Hi Bud!

> Is there some kind of offset needed for the early TR6 flywheels?

Not that I recall. You use an early flywheel with an early cranks and a
late flywheel with a late crank. If you try putting the early flywheel on
a late crank, the flywheel will bottom out on the rear engine plate.

> I remember
> reading somewhere that there was a 3/4 inch offset needed for the the ring
> gear...or something of that sort.

I know nothing about this.

> Thought I'd ask since this is a related thread and I've been thinking about
> an aluminum flywheel.  Just want to make sure I order the right thing.

All the TR6 aluminium flywheels that I am aware of that are for sale right
now are meant for the later crank.

You want a later crank!

> Also would the same flywheel fit my TR4As if I decide to put it on one of
> them instead of a TR6?

I doubt it, but I know squat about TR4's other than they have roll-up
windows and therefore classify as "sissy cars". ;-)

Seriously, I think the TR4 flywheel is a completely different animal than
any TR6 flywheel and are therefore not interchangable.

> Thanks
> Bud Rolofson
> 71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
> 71TR6 CC65446 (Christmas Ornament)