Re: "Off side lower"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Off side lower"
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:35:04 +0000
In article <000e01c099be$99721380$4b3029d8@gis.net>, Sumner Weisman
<sweisman@gis.net> writes
>Hello Michael,
>
>Welcome to the Triumph list, and congratulations on your Spitfire.

Thank you.

> There are
>some very knowledgeable people here, and I've gotten some wonderful gems of
>information.

As have I already.

>Regarding the "Off side" being lower.  If I interpret that correctly, the
>driver's side is higher than the passenger side.  This is certainly true of
>my TR3 when  nobody is in the car, and I believe I read that this is normal.
>It was designed that way so that when the driver alone (no passenger) is in
>the car, it is then level.  British ingenuity.

Sadly it is the other way around - the side that the driver sits in is
noticeably lower than the passenger side.   Funnily enough someone
tapped on my window (yes, I know you're supposed to drive convertibles
with the top down and the windows ditto, but it was minus 3 here this
morning!) in a car park today, and asked me if I knew how to fix the
problem, since his MkIV was in a similar state.   I passed on the
information I received here only yesterday, and he looked at me sadly
and said, "Well, I've changed the rear springs, and the shock-absorbers,
without any noticeable improvement.   The spring only fits in one way,
and I can't see how it could be adjustment..."

BTW, I fiddled around with the valance fixings earlier today, and it
would be possible to adjust them to balance both sides.   Unfortunately
the valances are fibre-glass, and the bolt-holes have cracked, split,
and enlarged, and the bolts are so heavily corroded that the only way to
get them out would be to cut them out.   I shall be drilling a few pilot
holes and adding some self-tapping screws to hold the things in the
right place...

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"