Re: Introduction (off-side/near-side) Not much lbc here!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Introduction (off-side/near-side) Not much lbc here!
From: "David Brister" <david@dbrister.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:09:47 -0000
David Massey wrote:

>As to why we Yanks drive on the wrong side - well why can't we spell
colour
>right?  Or nieghbour?  Or centre.  And why can't we pronounce schedule
(er,
>that's shedule)?  Perhaps we do it different just to be different.  But
you
>can't lay all the blame at our feet as most of the rest of the world
also
>drives on the right.  All of Europe save the British Isles, all of the
>western hemisphere save a few small islands in the Carribean.

To be fair one should consider the wrong side globally.

So let's hear it for Japan, India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka,
Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Uganda.
(With apologies for/to the many I have certainly omitted!)

BTW, before about 1930, virtually every car manufacturer outside the USA
put the steering wheel on the right side
regardless of the side of the road favoured by his customers. Perhaps it
never occurred to them
to do otherwise till then.

Regards,

David Brister,