Re: Introduction (off-side/near-side) Not much lbc here!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Introduction (off-side/near-side) Not much lbc here!
From: Fisher & Elizabeth Jones <fisher@hctc.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:35:44 -0600
You know, one could get tired of relating this story, if it weren't for the
sadistic pleasure that the re-telling gives me.

         Historically - Armies ALWAYS marched on the left, thus leaving
their sword arm (their right arm) free of encumbrances (No overhanging
branches or underbrush).  Should they be attacked by marauding hoardes they
would be able to defend themselves properly.

         This makes perfect sense, wouldn't you agree?

         However ...........

         Good Ole Nappy decided to change all that.  When faced with a
proposed battle with an entrenched English army of numerical superiority,
he decided to have his men make a tactical retreat.  Both armies had their
spies out. The English spies only knew that Nappy was approaching because,
although they could not see either the head or the tail of the snake, the
army was approaching on the left hand side of the roadway.  Nappy's
brilliance was to have his army do an about face, in place (i.e.. not
making a U turn), now marching away from the site of the battle, but still
appearing to be advancing, just because of the side of the road that they
were on.  He then decreed that his armies would, henceforth, march on the
right.

         We English are great ones for traditions, ergo, we still march
(drive) on the left side, that way we can have our sword arms free to
handle any would be attackers.

         Happy now?
           Fred?  What do you think?

Elizabeth Jones