TR6 Caliper Rebuild

Subject: TR6 Caliper Rebuild
From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:29:18 -0500
Well, I have been feeling guilty about spending all my allotted TR
time on the TR3 restoration while neglecting the TR6. So, I took
the 6 out of hibernation (it fired up on the first try!), took
it for a drive and then to my parent's garage. I've been wanting
to rebuild the calipers for the past two years and thought this
was a good time in preparation for the spring driving season to
begin (yes, it's just around the corner).

My question to the list is this: I purchased new stainless steel
pistons from TRF and the rebuild kit from Moss. TRF only listed the
pistons based on year (their winter sale flyer) and not caliper
model. My calipers are the early model, 16 P (versus 16 PB). The
rebuild kit is for the 16 PB with the metal retaining clips. When I
removed the dust covers, they were the ones with the metal clip
(for the 16 PBs). I popped the pistons and compared them to the new
stainless steel and they appear to be almost identical (the height
is off by .01" but all other measurements are the same).  Moss'
catalog says you cannot interchange pistons or dust covers between
the 16 P and the 16 PB but TRF nor the Manual makes no reference
to this (the manual only shows the dust cover with the clips). Can
I use the parts that I have for the 16 PB or do I need to reorder
and get the parts specific to the 16 P?

TIA

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA