Re: TR6 Caliper Rebuild

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Caliper Rebuild
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:07:34 EST
<<
 In a message dated 01-02-19 07:26:08 EST, Scott Suhring writes:

 <<
  My question to the list is this: I purchased new stainless steel
  pistons from TRF and the rebuild kit from Moss. TRF only listed the
  pistons based on year (their winter sale flyer) and not caliper
  model. My calipers are the early model, 16 P (versus 16 PB). The
  rebuild kit is for the 16 PB with the metal retaining clips. When I
  removed the dust covers, they were the ones with the metal clip
  (for the 16 PBs). I popped the pistons and compared them to the new
  stainless steel and they appear to be almost identical (the height
  is off by .01" but all other measurements are the same).  Moss'
  catalog says you cannot interchange pistons or dust covers between
  the 16 P and the 16 PB but TRF nor the Manual makes no reference
  to this (the manual only shows the dust cover with the clips). Can
  I use the parts that I have for the 16 PB or do I need to reorder
  and get the parts specific to the 16 P?

  TIA

  Scott Suhring

 Scott,

 I went through the same thing recently!  Here's what I learned....

   The pistons are the same diameter and height, give or take a thousandth of
an inch or so, and are interchangeable between calipers, EXCEPT for the dust
covers.  The 16P caliper piston has a very thin groove for the dust cover,
and there is a machined groove in the 16P caliper bore.

 The 16PB piston has a much larger groove for the dust cover, and as you
know, the dust cover  is held to the caliper by the clips.

 You cannot properly use 16P dust covers on 16PB pistons or calipers.  You
cannot properly use 16PB dust covers on 16P pistons or calipers.  (they just
don't fit  right)

 You need the 16P dust covers for your calipers. (You should have the pistons
with the thin groove)

 Been there.....

 Rich Rock
 Pottstown, PA