RE: Fan Extension

To: "Mark Meany" <mark@basecamp.mv.com>, " " <ct54531@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Fan Extension
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade@qwest.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:20:14 -0700
Cc: "TriumphTeam" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Maybe I've missed something -- if so, I apologize profusely.

When I heard the original post, I thought the question refered to the
Crankshaft Extension (part # 52 on pages 24-27 in the TRF TR6 Parts Manual,
Volumn 1).  This piece is initially held to the end of the crankshaft by two
dowels, and then the long bolt through the center.  It is to this that the
Fan attaches.  If this is stuck fast (after removing the bolt, of course),
use penetrating oil, let soak, then either use a gear puller or a rubber or
lead mallet.

However, in Mark's message, he seems to be referencing the Crankshaft Pulley
/ Dampener.  This does, in fact, attach onto the crankshaft end, and it fits
over the Woodruff Key.  This piece is easy to remove by using the "two
opposing screwdrivers" trick.  My concern with using the gear puller arms is
that if you grab the outer rim of the dampener, you run the risk of harming
the dampener -- as the two metal pieces are buffered by a ring of rubber.
Again, penetrating oil, two screwdrivers wiggling the dampener, ....

Good luck,
Eric

{Mark Meany wrote:
The extension is a snug, slide fit onto the end of the crank with about an 1
1/4" worth of engagement. There is a Woodruff key between the two as a
driver. I struggled quite a bit with mine. <snip>  I suppose patience & a
copious amount of penetrating oil applied to the shaft directly behind the
pulley would work in time.  Unfortunately, the position of the pulley is
right in the area where the length of engagement is precluding direct
application of heat.}