Kill switch with Crane ignition

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Kill switch with Crane ignition
From: " Peter French (main)" <peter.french@talk21.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:26:52 -0000
Hello again after along time, I have been lying low for a bit over 18 months
due to matrimonial upsets, lost the house, kept the car! On the subject of
"Kill switches", I have done a lot of work on the design of  Main dealer
engine testers. You do not need to apply a full short circuit to the
negative side of the coil to kill the engine. A standard power resistor of
say, 560 ohms and 3 watts will do nicely when connected between coil neg and
ground via your kill switch. It will not harm anything, it works by
quenching the spark that is generated when the current flow is interrupted
by your points or switching transistor. If done in a discrete manner, it can
be very hard to diagnose what is causing the lack of sparks, the effect is
the same as a partially failed points capacitor breaking down under voltage
stress. A slightly better and more covert method is to use a 24 Volt Zener
diode which is very difficult to detect with a normal meter. I can give
details if anyone is interested.
I hope to contribute more in future.

Peter French
Bedfordshire, UK