Re: was Viscous Fan thoughts for TR4 (long)

To: staffel@home.com
Subject: Re: was Viscous Fan thoughts for TR4 (long)
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:45:22 FILETIME=[B40C3580:01C09CD5]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, sanborn@net1plus.com
>Greg: Good Research! Maybe you could share more about the 'harmonic
>balancer', what it is, what it looks likem how it mounts to the crank.
>What it costs, as Brian and I seem to be dedicated to eliminating the
>original metal fan and its problems.
>
>Sherman
>Sherman Taffel
>Columbia MD
>http://members.home.net/staffel/triumph1.html

    I have a "non" stock TR engine. It's balanced, overbored (+.040),
    and has a hot cam (BFE's autocross cam). The flywheel's been
    lighteded the head has been shaved I estimate my compression to be
    somewhere around 10x1. The car is a summertime daily driver and
    occasionally driven in the winter, when it's not too sloppy out.

    Last year, I noticed my fan pedestal had a bit of a wobble at idle.
    After determining that it wasn't a broken crank shaft (whew) I
    decided to replace the assembly with BFE's harmonic balancer. The
    kit comes with the lower pulley/harmonic balancer, a pulley for the
    water pump, new seal for the timing chain cover, a special washer,
    bolt, and vee belt. What I needed to get was a replacement gasket
    for the timing chain cover and pulley to replace the Triumph pulley
    that was on the Ford alternator on the car.