Re: was Viscous Fan thoughts for TR4 (long)

To: staffel@home.com
Subject: Re: was Viscous Fan thoughts for TR4 (long)
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:04:26 FILETIME=[5DB62120:01C09CD8]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, sanborn@net1plus.com
>Greg: Good Research! Maybe you could share more about the 'harmonic
>balancer', what it is, what it looks likem how it mounts to the crank.
>What it costs, as Brian and I seem to be dedicated to eliminating the
>original metal fan and its problems.
>
>Sherman
>Sherman Taffel
>Columbia MD
>http://members.home.net/staffel/triumph1.html

    I have a "non" stock TR engine. It's balanced, overbored (+.040),
    and has a hot cam (BFE's autocross cam). The flywheel's been
    lighteded the head has been shaved. I estimate my compression to be
    somewhere around 10x1. The car is a summertime daily driver and
    occasionally is driven in the winter, when it's not too sloppy out.

    Last year, I noticed my fan pedestal had a bit of a wobble at idle.
    After determining that it wasn't a broken crank shaft (whew) I
    decided to replace the assembly with BFE's harmonic balancer. The
    kit comes with the lower pulley/harmonic balancer, a pulley for the
    water pump, new seal for the timing chain cover, a special washer,
    bolt, and vee belt. What I needed to get was: a gasket for the
    timing chain cover and pulley to replace the Triumph pulley
    on the Ford alternator in the car. I also had to find a good fan to
    replace the original. After trial and error I settled on a Permacool
    14" fan that seems to be doing an excellent job.

    The BFE harmonic balancer is not cheap (~$350.00).  It's a fix that
    would be recommended if you were going to drive your car as hard I
    do from time to time or, if you planned to race the car. I believe
    there are cheaper fixes for the problem. I think people just lop or
    leave off the pedestal. Others have adapted harmonic balancers from
    other cars.

    To describe the the HB, it is two disks of steel abou 8" dia with
    rubber sandwiched between them. This is bolted to a machined pulley
    of (I think aluminum) and the piece that fits to the crank through
    the timing chain cover.

    I'm entirely happy with the set-up. The engine never ran so
    smoothly. I still have some fiddling to do with the alternator to
    get it to line up with the other pulleys (the belt squeals abit from
    time to time).

    I'll also be happy to send you pix of how thw fan was mounted, if
    you're interested

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)