1959 TR3: Bad Luck

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1959 TR3: Bad Luck
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:01:51 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

For those that remember, I've got a basketcase TR3
that I'm attempting to restore with my dads help. We
purchased a spare frame with drivetrain in hopes of
having extra parts. We are working on engine rebuild
right now and took block/head down to machine shop.
They called dad and gave the dreaded news: cracked
head. Ok, no problem, we'll take down the spare head.
The next day, the same news came again: cracked head.
They say they can fix either head, which would put
total bill (with a valve job) at $450.

My question: Is a repaired head solid enough to handle
another 100+ thousand miles or will it fail soon? I'd
image this is a loaded question, as the repair quality
has a large factor.

British Parts Northwest has rebuilt heads for $485.
Matthews Foreign Car Parts has rebuilt TR4 heads for
$350. Will a TR4 head fit a TR3 ok? Will manifolds
line up? Are there any other sources of rebuilt heads
for good prices? Lastly, anyone got a sound head just
laying around they want to let go for a song?

Thanks much,

Richard JR
59 TR3 TS42099L