TR6 Clutch

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Clutch
From: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:00:19 -0800
Cc: "'vtr@autox.team.net'" <vtr@autox.team.net>
OK, I'm quite late in dealing with this, but bear with me.
In the Fall, 2000, The Vintage Triumph, magazine of the Vintage TR Register,
there is a long article about TR6 clutches.  There are a couple of points
made in the article which I must question.
First, the correct part number for a TR6 clutch from AP/Borg and Beck.  The
article implies that the pressure plate being supplied, HE5132, is incorrect
as told to the author by a US representative of Borg and Beck; an HE4787
should be used.  According to the latest catalogs from Borg and Beck, the
HE4787 is for TR4A and 67-69 TR5Pi.  The HE5132 is for 69-75 TR6. There is a
technical bulletin from March, 1990, that addresses the preference of some
drivers for a clutch "that can be operated with less pedal
effort...particularly when the clutch is being held disengaged."  The
bulletin says, "Providing the vehicle is not used under arduous conditions,
such as competitions, it is permissible to fit cover assembly HE4787 as an
alternative to HE5132."  The heaviness of the clutch was notorious when
these cars were new.  I can remember when I purchased one brand new in 1971
being astounded by the force required to depress the pedal compared to other
cars.  I will admit that a clutch that is too heavy may put additional
strain on other components, but is this clutch too heavy, I don't think so.
I think more problems are caused by holding the clutch disengaged.
Second, pedal movement.  The author states that with the Borg & Beck clutch,
the clutch will release with the pedal only about 1/2 inch away from the
firewall.  Not true.  I have this Borg & Beck clutch in my car, the third
set by the way, and the clutch releases at the top of the pedal.  I will
admit that until the last replacement it did release very close to the
floor. But I had the clutch replaced at a very competent shop and they fixed
the problem by taking every bit of slop out of all the linkage connections.
This is the most common cause.

Peter Arakelian - '71 TR6 Daily Driver
Domestic Buyer
Moss Motors, Ltd.