re: tr fire

To: d@seanet.com, tri <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: tr fire
From: Chuck Arnold <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:52:09 -0800
Hi,

My name is Chuck Arnold.  I read the digest version of the Triumphs
mail, so am directing this mail directly to you.  I live in Bellevue and
have been rebuilding my 6 since last summer.  Hope to get it on the road
in a couple of weeks -- have been waiting for TRF brackets to fix my
broken diff mount [glad I checked it].  Anyway, we took the car out last
spring to the BMW driving class [belong to that club, the alpha club and
Tyee] [skinny tires still on, suspension rebuilt all around already] and
just had a ball.  Went on to two runs at SIR [one with BMW, one with
Alpha].  Decided we needed more power.  Thought I'd get it on the road
in a couple of weeks burt it has been down ever since.  Except a couple
weeks ago I did get it started and ran it for 20 minutes to break in the
cam.  Since the exhaust header ended to open space [waiting to get the
bottom back in to reconnect the Monza free flow exhaust] I woke up the
neighborhood!

I have gotten the 10:1 head, mild cam, exhaust headers and triple
webbers from BPNW.  Added racing seats, 5 point belts, electric pump.
crane XR700 [and am thinking of adding the ignition control box also,
but we will see how it runs first].  Picking up air cleaners this
weekend [honest performance in Renton ordered me three K&Ns for $100.]

Once the diff bracket is back in, its off to weld up the exhaust, tune
the webbers and hit all the track and autocross events I can this year.
One disappointment from all the rest I like about BPNW was the jetting
on the webbers was 110 mains, 200 air [so I had to buy 130 mains and
160/180 airs, and a richer idle set --came with 45f9, got 50f11 since I
could not get it to idle at all smooth till the screws were out two and
a half turns and the rpm approached 2000.] Those jets, plus a set of
emulsion tubes ran close to $250 -- so I wish the carbs came with jets
closer to what I think I will run.

Love to compare notes -- hey if we get enough people interested we could
probably get someone [Mr. Good?] to fab up a ram air box for the 3 DCOE
setup [I was trying, but need better machine shop tools -- have already
"altered" the inner fender with a torch and hammer so there will be
room.

Now all I need is a new [12"] steering wheel and a set of those 7x16
Panasports and the job will be complete [till next winter when its time
to rebuild the bottom end -- hope the crank lasts through this one].

Chuck Arnold

74 TR6
81 BMW 528 [daily driver with 250K miles on it]
94 Alpha 164LS