Re: Where and how to buy

Subject: Re: Where and how to buy
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:27:02 -0600
>I can't imagine any advantage to buying a car from a dealer or from eBay.

I can.

>Find the individual within a reasonable distance to your home and go drive
>the car.

I don't expect a car within a reasonable distance of my home in the
condition and price that I found in Texas on Ebay.

>I think -- presuming you live in a larger metro area -- the best bet is
your
>local newspaper classifieds.

Only one TR4 seen in the local paper in a coon's age.  One of our list
members bought it at a good price after I passed on it because it was more
project than I was ready for.  This is another decision you need to make.
What do you want the car for?  How much restoration are you willing to put
into it before it is in the condition you require.

>there are a large number of Triumphs that cycle through the
>online classifieds at http://www.vtr.org.

Indeed.  My car had been on there before it was offered on Ebay.  The short
little ad did not do it justice.  The photos were really what caught my
attention.  I had not been checking the VTR ads.  I recommend them.

Whether VTR or Ebay, though, you need to make sure you get a good local
inspection.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.