RE: TR4A front suspension and frame repair

To: bradlnss@lightspeed.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4A front suspension and frame repair
From: acrane@crosslink.net (Alan Crane)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:11:21 -0500
Brad:
I assume you are talking about the sort of U-shaped brackets bolted to
the frame. I installed the double-bolt version many years ago after
the original one broke on the road.  One of the very few times in 34
years I had to have the car towed home; fortunately it was only a mile
away.

My memory of the switch may be a little cloudy subce this happened
over 15 years ago, so check to make sure I am making sense.

The brackets are easy to remove once you have the spring out.  Be very
careful with the spring.  Buy or make an appropriate tool for
compressing the spring and support it from below with a jack to be on
the safe side.  Then remove the bolt thru the bracket and arm.  The
bolt holding the bracket itself comes off when you remove the nut on
the inside of the frame.

You then have to drill a hole thru the frame for the second bolt.  Use
a long drill bit because you have to go thru both sides. Paint the
hole edges. Then just bolt in the new brackets.

As for the crack, that should be weldable by a frame shop.  Don't
drive it much before fixing it.

Good luck
Alan

The beat goes on...

While removing the oil pan in the TR4A I found the rear A-arm bracket
mount
on the right front suspension nearly ripped out of the car! No wonder
the
car looked like it had a lot of excess camber.

I would like to know if anyone has had the experience of removing the
suspension brackets and installing the TR6, 2 hole brackets on the
frame?
How are the old brackets best removed?

I also found a fairly significant crack in the frame on the left hand
side
of the car, just aft of the rear, front suspension mount. The crack is
across the bottom and up the outside of the frame member. Any
experience
with a repair in this area?

Please don't use the words 'terminal' or 'cancer' in your replies. I
am
already severely depressed. :(

Brad
65 TR4A