How old is my speedo?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: How old is my speedo?
From: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:45:29 -0330
Hi folks.

Most of my car seems to be '73.  But some things don't and that may include
my Speedometer.  I recently purchased a new speedometer cable that was
supposed to fit and it doesn't.  The speedo end of the cable is too long (by
about 2-3 millimeters) to allow the cap (? the thing that holds the cable
in) to screw onto the speedo.  I'm wondering whether it (the speedo) is not
a '73 or maybe not a TR6.

Could it be a spit or GT6 speedo?  An Austin Healey speedo??  An
MG/MGA/MGB/Mini/Stag/TR7/TR8/TR1,2,3,4,or 5 speedo??????????

Let me describe it to you.  It's round (!), it's black, and it's a Smith's.
It's registered for 140MPH and it fits my TR6 dash perfectly (i.e. the
diameter is a little over 5").  It does differ from my tach in that the
bezels are different.  The speedo has a nice chrome one which in cross
section is more rounded than the more angled (and previously black - I
scraped off the black paint) bezel of the tach.

Any insights you can offer will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank
(mostly 73 mostly (?) TR6)