Re: Spitfire 1500 tools

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 tools
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 04:57:19 -0700
Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:

> In article <3.0.1.32.20010223220341.00887320@pop.xs4all.nl>, Eric
> Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl> writes
> >At 17:57 23-2-2001 +0000, Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
> >
> >>If you think the ones you've seen on the list are hilarious, you should
> >>see the ones that came by private e-mail!   I am compiling a complete
> >>list of all responses, and will post a summary here in a day or so.
> >
> >I look forward to it.
>
> My notes currently run to five pages of A4...
> >
> >>You carry a set of feelers?   What on earth for?
> >
> >Duh.... I don't know, really. I set the valves once a year and I guess I'm
> >too lazy to look for the feelers; I just always have them with me.
>
> That use hadn't occurred to me, since we were talking about an emergency
> toolkit!

Don't discount them. Very handy tools. Very compact, cheap, and
relatively light weight. Good for not only valves, but for thrust
measurements in many areas, and for rough measurements of point gap,
etc. A simple and effective tool. Far more useful than the price would
suggest.

And, for what it's worth, I'll throw in my two cents worth on emergency
tools (on very long trips, I carry far more than necessary, but...).
Compression gauge. Cheap and compact. Cheap analog meter. For emergency
work, will do as much or more as a digital meter, but cheaper and about
as robust. 8" 3/8" drive ratchet and assortment of sockets. One foot
piece of metal pipe, when there's a need for more torque. 3/8" speed
wrench and a universal joint. Roll of 14 ga. wire. Will repair any
wiring fault in a pinch. Have a 10 ga. fault? Use two pieces. Small
assortment of ring terminals and spades. Yes, slip-lock pliers will work
in a pinch, rather than specialized fitting crimpers, although I usually
bring those, too. One very long straight-blade screwdriver and one short
one. One medium length shaft Phillips with a smallish bit. Not too many
_big_ Phillips head screws on Triumphs. Short combination box/open end
wrenches in 7/16", 1/2", 9/16" and 3/4". One roll of mechanic's wire,
one roll of duct tape, a square foot gasket material and a tube of
high-temperature silicone sealer. That lot will take care of almost
emergency on the road short of a serious parts failure and will fit in a
space no more than about 4" x 6" x 18". And, yeah, the feeler gauge set.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`71 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.