Re: what's this wire?

To: rstirb@townisp.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: what's this wire?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:54:49 EST
In a message dated 2/23/2001 10:18:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rstirb@townisp.com writes:

>     The ignition switch on my '73 TR6 has a mystery wire on it.
> There's a little plastic housing with brass contacts riveted to the side of
> the switch housing, from which this wire starts.  It's a black wire with
> green tracer, about 4" long, with a bullet on the other end, which
> connects into the main harness.
>     It grounds to the switch body only when the key is removed and
> the lock pin pops out.
>     I suspect it has something to do with seat belt interlocks.  It's just
> odd that it's not on any wire diagram I have seen, Haynes, Bentley or
> Master's!
>     What's it's function?
>             TIA
>                 Rick

Rick,

This wire shows up in chapter 14 (figure 3, page 56), and in chapter 24
(figure 1, page 105). It is also shown near the bottom center of schematic
diagram B5. It is part of both the courtesy lights and the seat belt
circuits. I'm puzzled, though, by your statement that the wire is grounded
when the key is OUT of the lock. It should be grounded when the key is IN the
lock. That's how the circuit works, and the way the wire is grounded on the
switch I have.

The circuit is designed to sound the buzzer IF [the key is in the switch] AND
[the driver's door is open OR the seat belt circuit is not satisfied].

If your wire is indeed grounded when the key is out, a) you have a bad
switch, or, b) I have some more work to do.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm