Re: TR4 overdrive: secret agent man

To: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 overdrive: secret agent man
From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 13:21:53 -0500
At 10:59 AM 2/24/2001 -0700, Steven Newell wrote:

>So I'm sitting with the boys this morning, looking at car photos on the
>laptop.
>We get to the photos of my TR4 provided by the PO before I bought the car.
>When
>I bought it he told me the overdrive didn't work, perhaps I know why -- I
>noticed that in every photo of the interior, the overdrive is switched ON. Not
>all photos are from the same day, so I'm guessing he drove with the O/D on
>most
>of the time -- and probably enjoyed backing up with the O/D on also.
>
>To refresh my memory, backing up with the O/D engaged = bad. Right?  Just
>thinking about fun projects to do in the driveway this summer. ;-)
>
>--
>Steven Newell
>Denver, CO

Steven,
There is supposed to be cut out switch that prevents the overdrive from
working in 1st and reverse and if I understand it, if the overdrive is
actuated in reverse, then there can be damage done to the od unit.

I remember in the 60's a friend had a TR4 with od and his would work in
reverse yet my TR3B would not.........