Re: TR6 Clutch

To: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch
From: Dana Scott <dscoti@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:29:39 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "'vtr@autox.team.net'" <vtr@autox.team.net> c om>
--- "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
wrote:
> I will admit that a clutch that is too heavy
> may put additional
> strain on other components, but is this clutch too
> heavy, I don't think so.
> I think more problems are caused by holding the
> clutch disengaged.
> Second, pedal movement.  The author states that with
> the Borg & Beck clutch,
> the clutch will release with the pedal only about
> 1/2 inch away from the
> firewall.  Not true.  I have this Borg & Beck clutch
> in my car, the third
> set by the way, and the clutch releases at the top
> of the pedal.  I will
> admit that until the last replacement it did release
> very close to the
> floor. But I had the clutch replaced at a very
> competent shop and they fixed
> the problem by taking every bit of slop out of all
> the linkage connections.
> This is the most common cause.

I have a '73 TR6.  I must confess that I don't know
which plate I have, but it's a brand new Borg & Beck
clutch and pressure plate from Moss.  It has the bent
fingers (I was warned about using that model).  I used
the Toyota throwout bearing on my original sleeve.  I,
like Peter, took all the slop out of the linkage with
a new clutch slave pushrod (my old one couldn't be
salvaged) and I soldered and redrilled the holes in
the pedals.  I rebuilt the master and slave and filled
them with DOT 5.  This setup releases quite nicely
midway up it's travel.  It is positive feeling and is
not too heavy for me.  Simply it works GREAT.  I'm
pleased.

Dana Scott
'73 TR6 CF9690UO
Temple City, CA