Car names - probably too much

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car names - probably too much
From: "Rob Blubaugh" <blubaugh@rcsc.k12.in.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:44:41 -0600
Response to Boothroyd, Frank on ............
Subject: What's your LBC's name?
Frank wrote:
Hi folks.  I'm curious about the names some people on the list have
given
their cars.  May I humbly suggest that if you've named your car you
might
include its name after your closing salutation?   I'd be most interested
see the many, perhaps varied, names we've given our obsessions.
- - - -

Frank, I may be crazy (unlike most crazy folks I recognize my
affliction) but I have had names for all three of the LBCs I have
owned.  It started when my best friend, who constantly teases and
torments, said of my first LBC (a "chartreuse" (greenish yellow) '77
MGB) that it looked like a banana.  It was fitted with a black stripe
and it did have the black bumpers.  Next thing I knew he was calling it
"Chiquita."  The name stuck.  I always referred to the car as Chiquita.
As a school teacher my students would sometimes ask on Monday how my
week end had gone.  I would sometimes reply, if I had attended a car
show or event, that I spend a wild and wonderful week end with
Chiquita.  On a morning when I looked sleepy and drowsy they would ask
if I had a tough night with Chiquita.  One one occasion I had been up
late working on the car when it was experiencing some overheating
problems.  My response to the kids was yes, I had a late night with
Chiquita and she was really HOT.  Most of the kids knew Chiquita was my
car, but I thought I should explain to all what was up when one
youngster threatened to call my wife (an Episcopal priest) to tell her
of my affair.  I have also learned to stop joking, especially around the
kids, that I sleep with a priest.  In 1997, on a silly shim, I sold
Chiquita.  My own children were particularly upset with me.  I didn't
know that they had come to like the little car so much.  I have often
wished I had my Chiquita back.

My second LBC was an over restored (in some ways) '63 MGB.  Somehow this
car became known as Rupert.  My mother was from England and as a small
child I received from my mother's friends some hardboard story books
featuring Rupert Bear.  They were wonderful books and I still have most
of them.  But the "Rupert" name for my '63 B was based on the wise and
knowing horse of Merlin the Magician from the movie Merlin relating to
the King Arthur legends.  When I lived in London some of my favorite
week end trips were to Devon and Cornwall.  Tintagle and Glastonbury
were beautiful and mysterious places associated with the Arthur
legends.  I thought perhaps the '63 B, an older chrome bumpered beast,
would "speak" to me and share some special wisdom and knowledge.  I
never heard a word or felt any special bond with that car.  Although
Rupert had a decent appearance and it was the most mechanically sound
and reliable LBC I have owned, it was an inadequate substitute for
Chiquita and I sold it in less than two years.  I took a substantial
loss on the car, but if you are not happy with a hobby car I think you
should let it go and seek out a new relationship.

Within a month of Rupert's departure, on a crazy whim, I came over "to
the dark side" and I purchased my present LBC, a 1955 Triumph TR2.  This
is my first car not to have a heater or roll up windows.  With this car
I have finally discovered the true essence of British sports motoring.
If you are inside this car in a rain storm, you take a bath right along
with the car.  Mechanically the car is a mess.  The body looks nice, but
behind the many pounds of bondo the body is also a mess.  (I am lobbying
event officials to create a "sculpture" class.  I might have a winner
here.)  I have put far too much money into this car already and I know
that from the money standpoint I have only just begun.  BUT I LIKE THIS
CAR!  It has character and personality.  This car also has a first and a
last name.  It is a neumonic.  The name is IPE (short i and long e)
GAGG.  IPE relates to the engine and the letters stand for "Internal
Percussion Engine."  GAGG relates to the gearbox and the letters stand
for "Grinding and Growling Gears."

Frank, you shouldn't have asked this question.  I hope there are no
shrinks lurking on the list.  They will be looking for me.  With this
subject, Frank, I think you will get more than you bargained for.

Cheers!
Rob Blubaugh
Rensselaer, IN, USA - home to TR2 #7690, born 18 Aug 1955 and a.k.a. IPE
GAGG, a little red roadster with character and personality.