Re: Meltdown

Subject: Re: Meltdown
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:40:25 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Gary Nicklaus wrote:

> What really bothers me is the fact that all of the fuses remained intact.  I'm
> lucky the car didn't burn.

Gary :

This is a fairly common conundrum, not only in cars but in houses too.
The problem is that fuses can only protect against an over-current
condition, they cannot protect against excess heat caused by a bad
connection.

Power is voltage times current, so a 1 volt drop in a 10 amp circuit
dissipates 10 watts of power.  This is barely noticeable in a car, even
considered acceptable in house wiring, but if the drop is concentrated
at one point, it can melt insulation or even cause a fire.  The problem
feeds on itself too, since hot copper will corrode to copper oxide,
which is a lousy conductor.  The resistance goes up, the heat goes up,
it just keeps getting worse and worse over time.

About the only permanent solution for a LBC is constant vigilance.  When
your lights seem a little dim, find out why and fix it !

Of course you'll need to replace your harness now to fix the damage, but
chances are it was not at fault to begin with.  The problem almost
always starts as a bad connection.

Randall