Securon belts for TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Securon belts for TR6
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 13:27:06 EST
Not too long ago, there were some discussions and comments
about the Securon retractable shoulder belts for the TR6.
I ordered some from Victoria British, and now have two
questions:

1)  Vicky Brit claims (and ships) Securon part 500/30 as
the part for the TR6.  The Securon box and web site says
514/30 is correct.  Securon's web shows the 514 to have
a shorter length of webbing and an adjustable angle
retractor mechanism.  Who to believe?  (I haven't placed
the call to Securon in UK to ask them -- wish they had an
email tech support option...)  If you have the belts in
a TR6, which Securon model is it?

2)  The install info is all generic.  Specifically where
did you mount the retractor?  The seat seems to hit all
locations in the front of the wheelwell or rear floor.
Looks like the side of the wheelwell would provide a proper
vertical mount for the retractor and not hit anything.
My existing lap belt mount points seem appropriate for
the lower two points (although they currently have eye
bolts), and there's a top point at the top of the
wheelwell for the belt pivot, but where to put the retractor?
What did you do?

Also, I asked in a previous message about using alternatives
to the backing plates available for sale.  I bought one
set/pair (Vicky Brit 19-477, $19.95) to see what they
are.  This is NOT just a plate with a hole through it.  They're
about 1 5/8" x 2", with a pressed in thread insert which
matches the bolts in the belt kit.  Looks like you're
to mount the backing plate via another small hole, and
the insert extends through body/frame for belt mounting.
Not sure if they're worth $20 per pair, but at least
they're not just a flat plate with drilled holes.

Cheers,
Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com
72 TR6