Vacuum and timing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vacuum and timing
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 05:54:24 -0800 (PST)
Thanks to all for the help on the Vacuum advance theory.
Ive been chewing on it for a few days and think I have a little better
understanding.

I think it really helped to have the vacuum gauge (on the hand pump) in the
cockpit there with me so I could see how much vacuum was produced and under
what conditions.  I reccommend everyone give this a try.

Maybe Im a lead foot in this stop and go Northern VA traffic, but I spent a
good deal of time in the no vacuum zone.  Im sure on the trip to Colorado, I
spent hours at a time at maximum vacuum though.

Id like to get a vacuum canister with a lower amount of advance.  As it stands
now, I can set the timing where it will ping when the vacuum advance is
attached (and under vacuum,) but doesnt under idle or full throttle
conditions.   I guess a corollary to that might be reducing the initial timing
to the vacuum doesn't make it ping and getting then more centrifugal advance.

In the mean time, Im going to be running it without the vacuum advance.

Thanks agin

Scott "question boy" Tilton
Leesburg, VA
http://greetings.yahoo.com