Re: Hackers that send viruses

To: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: Re: Hackers that send viruses
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 17:53:24 -0700
Cc: Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Randall Young wrote:

> Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment, I'd like to point out that at
> least some viruses are written by kids as a prank.  Most of them are not
> even particularly destructive, in spite of the 'official estimates' of
> millions of dollars lost.
>
> Frankly, operating a computer on the Internet without adequate protection
> against viruses could be likened to having a swimming pool without a fence
> around it, an "attractive nuisance".  At least part of the blame should fall
> on those who make it so easy for viruses to propagate.
>
> Randall - with my Nomex undies on !!!

Viruses like Vandalism has no real point.  they don't gain anything for anyone.
 THey both only cause harm.

I can see the point in theft and robbery.  There is something to gain.

Homicide also has a point, whether it be a crime of passion or for hire.

While I don't condone any of the above, I can see a point in them.  Vandalism
and computer viruses are simply destructive without anything to gain.
In this respect, they look more and more like terrorism!

So I say (and I'm very serious here) make the penalty for such actions very
stringent.  THerefore these juveniles who perpetrate these crimes will
think twice before creating such maliciousness.

Just MHO!

Joe