RE: TR6 Spare Tire Cover Felt Strips

To: <Chip19474@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[098D4050:01C18185] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id fBAEQml03801
Subject: RE: TR6 Spare Tire Cover Felt Strips
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@compaq.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 08:14:51 -0600 qcorp.net>
Chip,

A few months ago, I fabricated my own spare tire cover from parts
obtained from Home Depot.  For the felt, I went to their carpet aisle
and found a low profile type of black padding that has the texture and
look of carpet.  When I got home I cut it to fit the rails and used an
adhesive to attach it.  Worked great.

Bill
74 TR6
Atlanta

List,

Has anyone had any luck getting black felt to replace the felt strips
that
line the underneath of the metal rails (the two side rails) on the spare
tire
cover of a TR6?

I thought that getting some of this stuff would be as easy as a trip to
local fabric store but not so!  Visits to fabric stores, craft stores,
hardware stores, auto trim shops, etc. haven't been successful.  The
problem
is that the felt is too thick for general retail sales and felt
manufacturers
don't even want to talk to you for a yard of material.......it's 3/16"
thick
by 1" wide by 22" long.

I've got some backup ideas in case I'm really shutout on this one but
thought
I'd try the 'ol reliable list for ideas first.

TIA,

chip