RE: Long Live The TR Wedge!!!!!

To: michaelgajic@hotmail.com, rdchambers@att.com, TR250Driver@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Long Live The TR Wedge!!!!!
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:42:37 FILETIME=[B24A6CD0:01C18249]
>From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
>To: rdchambers@att.com, TR250Driver@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
>Subject: RE: Long Live The TR Wedge!!!!!
>Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 00:11:40 +1100
>
>Rober Chambers wrote:
>
> >I always heard the TR-7 was the downfall of Triumph. They never recovered
> >from the bad rap they got for poor quality on the first TR-
> >7s.
>
>Not sure about TR7s being the sole downfall, I think the seeds of Triumph's
>problems were sown long before the TR7 was released. It had a lot to do
>with
>poor build quality but IMHO at least as much to do with poor coporate
>strategy.
>
>On the quality side I have spoken to a mechanic who worked at the
>Australian
>distributor for Triumphs. He said that the PI TR6s and Dolomite Sprints
>were
>a far bigger worry. I won't start about the Stags...

I must agree. Triumph's downfall can't be blamed on any one thing... On the
list could be build quality, design flaws (that should have been caught
before the car hit the market), union problems, the nationalization of the
industry. The stodgy monster that was British Leyland which couldn't
capitalize on an opportunity when it was thrown in its lap. (the early 70's
gas crisis). You could also point to British jurassic management style, poor
dealer support in a primary market (the U.S.), the marketing of "reliable"
sports cars from Japan, Ralph Nader, environmental concerns and the U.S.
Legislature which forced changes throughout the industry... Globally.

In defense of the "Wedge" You have to admit some 20 years after the last one
was made, it still looks pretty good.

That's my opinion!

Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)