Skip and miss (long )

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Skip and miss (long )
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 20:38:09 -0500
After filling the gas tank on my TR6 last Thursday, the car began to
skip and misfire about an hour later. After checking the plugs, cap and
rotor (all good) I thought that I may have a bad tank of gas. Put in
some gas line dryer and took it out for a drive a few hours later. All
seemed better. Parked it in the garage until tonight.
Tonight, the car wouldn't fire up in it's usual 3 or 4 cranks. it took a
good 5 minutes of cranking, after checking for spark at the plugs
(looked good) . Eventually, it did cough to life and I let it warm up.
Put the timing light on just to check, OK here.
Suspecting a clogged fuel filter, I bought a Purolator glass gas fuel
filter and installed it.  Took the car out for a drive- still skipping
and missing when I give it more than half throttle. Stopped for gas
(different station this time) and topped of with 1/2 a tank of premium.

Came back home, had dinner, and back out to the garage.  Look at the
fuel filter, no crud visible.  Took it out for another spin. Still had a
bit of a miss, but not as pronounced as before. I'm getting stumped here!

Here's another observation- I noticed the fuel level in the filter was
really low, the glass never got more than 1/ 2 full when I watched it.
At one point, it was so low that I could see a stream of fuel flowing
out of the fuel tank side of the filter- the filter wasn't even filling
up at idle.

So here's were the collective wisdom comes in:

1.)  Is the lack of fuel in the filter indicative of a clogged fuel line
or a fuel pump on it's way out? Or, is this the normal state of fuel
flow on a TR6?

2.)  Am I barking up the wrong tree? Could it be ignition? I did get a
strong blue spark when checking it. But, the car came with a Lumenition
electronic ignition. The coil is about 1 year old, also the plug wires.
It's worked flawlessly since I got the car 2 years ago, But, would this
be indicative of an impending failure in the Lumention unit?

3.)  the car also came with the Weber DGV conversion. It's been working
good all along, nothing is leaking. But I've never had these carbs on a
car before. Anyone running this setup have problem like this?

Any thoughts and input welcomed!

Paul Burr