Fwd: Whining Rears

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fwd: Whining Rears
From: ebk@buffnet.net
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 19:09:55 +0000
Cc: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:33:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>

Okay so I clouded the question with a superflous story at the begining.
.

But still no response to my differential noise question??

Come on guys. . . don't leave me hanging.
Please?

- --- Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:08:30 -0800 (PST)
> From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Whining Rears
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net

SNIP

> Im essentially test driving this rear end.
> It is a used unit and I have a little while to decide if it is a keeper.
>
> It feels better than the old one. . .(less slop in the gears and the strange
> vibration at speed is gone)
>
> However it has a little bit of gear whine under acceleration.
> Id be content if it were just a Sunday driver. . .but its my primary
> transportation and will get 1000 mi per month for the next couple of years.
>

> Any advice or comments?
>
> Thanks in Advance
or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
Hi Scott!
        I see it now! ;-) I would think if it were new that it might be a
'wear-in' sound. Does the noise increase in sound as the speed
increases? I was thinking that it might have to do with the 'shimming'
of the side gear & 'The Other Gear' ;-). That is inside the inner part
of the diff. I thought that your post was very catchee I hope you
received more response. Again, I'm not a 'hands-on' guy yet at
troubleshooting.        -Cosmo Kramer