Oversize hole for soft top snap's rivet

Subject: Oversize hole for soft top snap's rivet
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 16:11:09 -0500
I just attempted to replace a snap for the soft top on the body of my TR6.
Somehow the rivet hole is over-size. (It wasn't from my drill which did not
go through the sides of the old rivet.) The 1/8" rivet popped right out of
the hole when I tried to pop rivet the snap. If this were not a blind hole,
I would put a 1/8" washer in place and be done with it. It looks like the
hole will accept a 3/16" rivet. I suppose I could enlarge the hole in the
snap and file down the head of the rivet. Does anybody else have any ideas?

Also another top-related question: On the snaps on my tonneau and boot,
there are plastic snaps inside the metal snaps. Two of them have fallen out.
This leaves a metal snap which seems to function just as well. Can someone
give me the theory behind the snap-in-a-snap? Should I worry about replacing
the plastic parts?

Thanks,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6