Computer Graphic Arts question (some LBC)

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Computer Graphic Arts question (some LBC)
From: Randall <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 13:08:38 -0800
Hi all :

One of my many projects for several years now has been to scan,
touch-up, OCR and otherwise transform several Triumph publications into
computer form.  I'm finding this a lot more tedious than I expected !
<g>

My question is : Is Adobe Photoshop worth the price for touching up
half-tone photos and line drawings (like those found in the TR2/3
factory workshop manual) ?  I'm currently using "Presto ImageFolio" that
came with my scanner, and it makes things like erasing figure numbers
inside circles, and overwriting them with new numbers, rather painful (7
mouse clicks for each number, plus the numbers themselves).  Is there
anything else that people like ?  (Has to run on Wintel, I'm too old to
learn Mac now !)

Also, any suggestions for a scanner that works quickly for 600 dpi by 8
bit grayscale, and has a page feeder that will handle the rather heavy
stock the factory manuals were printed on ?

BTW, I'm not really ready to publish yet, but the Laycock A-type OD
service manual, P/N 502274 is basically done.  It's about 3Mb (probably
5 in email form), let me know if you'd like me to send you one.  CDs
_might_ be available in time for Triumphest 2003 ...

All comments appreciated
Randall

PS I'm aware that I'm duplicating other's efforts.  My thanks to them,
especially those who have graciously given me copies of their hard
work.  The distinction is that I want all the text run through OCR and
stored as text so it can be searched, used to form databases, stores
small, scrolls fast, etc.  My eyes aren't what they used to be either,
so it has to be crisp and clear.