Re: Trouble with Spitfire

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trouble with Spitfire
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 18:30:40 -0000
Cc: <dstauffa@csc.com>
Hi
The car will run with a torn diaphragm but not well hot or cold.
The only thing that comes to mind which is likely to have a hot cold
difference, which you don't mention having looked at are the tappets (valve
clearances), they can cause backfiring loss of power and some other
problems, check they are set at 0.010" cold. There has been much debate as
to how cold they should be and I generally do them stone cold but I have
been told that they are effectively cold in comparative terms of the engine
after about 10 - 15 minutes.

Good luck
Graham.