RE: tr3 lower fulcrum pin removal, revisited

To: Mark Gendron <mgendron@speakeasy.org>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: tr3 lower fulcrum pin removal, revisited
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:56:14 -0800 (PST)
Mark,

When I first came across this problem, there was a
lister who gave me a pretty good description of what
needed to be done to remove the lower fulcrum pin. I
lost the name and information, though, and haven't
heard from him since. Here's what I remember/did
though:

The lower fulcrum pin is attached to frame by four
welds. The outter two welds are easy to grind down.
The inner two welds (welds to shock tower) are quite a
bit thicker and harder to grind down. But grind you
must. I bought a dremel tool with shaft extension.
This seems to be absolutely necessary, unless you want
to cut into the shock towers and/or frame, as there's
just not enough room for anything else. You just have
to be patient. I used eight 1" fiberglass reinforced
discs before it was over, and spent over 20 hours on
it. Finally, I cut out the rear 'ear' and the pin came
right out. It seems you have to remove this part to
get the new pin in. I'm fairly happy with the results,
as when I insert the new pin, it fits snuggly enough
that there's very little play to mess up the original
geometery of the pin to frame.

I will be taking the frame down to a welder Thursday
and will finally be through with this most annoying
chapter in what is sure to be a long restoration. I
will post back if I find that I screwed anything up.

Richard
TS42099L

--- Mark Gendron <mgendron@speakeasy.org> wrote:
> Was there any response to Richard's request? If so,
> please re-post or
> forward.
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/