Old Brake Pads (another long and rambling story)

To: "Scott Tilton" <sdtilton@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Old Brake Pads (another long and rambling story)
From: "elliottd" <elliottd@look.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:25:09 -0500
Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com> wrote

> Somewhere around 18 months ago . . not long after I got my TR-6,  I had to
> replace the brake rotors and pads.
> I don't remember where I got the pads. . might have been a local parts
store
> for all I know.  One thing was obvious though . . . they made a TREMENDOUS
amount of brake dust
> on the front wheels. A year and a half and somewhere around 20,000 miles
later . . . I was surprised
> to hear that metal on metal grinding when I hit the brakes on my way home
from
> work.
> Scott Tilton

Scott - You have something there.  I got 43,000 miles out of my first set of
original front brake pads. During that time, I used to swap them - inner to
outer - to equalise the wear.  Then I changed them.  They were about half
gone.  When I did my full body-off restoration from 1987 to 1990, (80,000
miles) my neighbor turned the rotors but I put the same pads back in.  Since
then, I've done another 60,000 miles on these pads and they are still not
half worn.  And there is no black dust either.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1959 TR3A
Montreal, Canada