Differential Pinion Seal - TR-4A IRS

To: "TriumphTeam" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Differential Pinion Seal - TR-4A IRS
From: "Mark Meany" <mark@basecamp.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:00:38 -0500
Sorry I wasn't paying sufficient attention when this thread passed through
recently.

I replaced my old leather based seal, which didn't leak, with a new
synthetic material seal from TRF back a few months ago. The diff was out of
the car (still is) so I figured what the heck, might as well take care of
it. I had to fight a bit to get the new seal in & I wouldn't doubt if I
inadvertantly distorted its shape. Afterwards, I carefully stood the diff up
on the pinion flange & put in probably a half a cup of 90 wt gear oil. It
leaks through the new seal. Not major amounts & granted the vertical
position certainly exaggerates mattters. Anyway, I bought another seal from
Moss on speculation & it appears to be closer in appearance to the original
one removed. Making a short story long, was the consensus that the rawhide
type seal was a better fit in the housing than the synthetic alternatives?

On an unrelated matter, I had to replace a couple of heater hoses (non-LBC)
recently which on this vehicle req'd draining the coolant. I found I could
avoid this by jamming one of those disposable foam ear plugs temporarily in
the line. I just had to chuckle....

Regards,

Mark Meany
Keene, NH