RE: Differential Pinion Seal - TR-4A IRS

To: "Mark Meany" <mark@basecamp.mv.com>, "TriumphTeam" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[E8C28220:01C19AA4] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g0BDa8123714
Subject: RE: Differential Pinion Seal - TR-4A IRS
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@compaq.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:36:00 -0600 qcorp.net>
Mark,

I helped a fellow TR6 neighbor with his differential a few weeks ago and
we had to decide between the leather and "synthetic" oil seal.  We
finally choose the "new" technology, but there were two important steps.

First, make sure that the pinion gear is smooth i.e., no gouges, spurs,
etc.  The old oil seal had left some small gouges and we smoothed them
out by lightly using a Dremel tool.

Second, do not force the new "synthetic" seals all the way in to the
point were it is flush with the diff body.  It will distort the seal and
cause the leaking that you have now.  Be careful and tap it in until it
stops, don't force it.  I can't remember for sure, but I think it
protruded out about 1/16 of an inch or so.

After I rebuild my carbs, I'm planning to work on my diff as well.

Good luck.

Bill
Atlanta
74 TR6

I replaced my old leather based seal, which didn't leak, with a new
synthetic material seal from TRF back a few months ago. The diff was out
of
the car (still is) so I figured what the heck, might as well take care
of
it. I had to fight a bit to get the new seal in & I wouldn't doubt if I
inadvertantly distorted its shape. Afterwards, I carefully stood the
diff up
on the pinion flange & put in probably a half a cup of 90 wt gear oil.
It
leaks through the new seal. Not major amounts & granted the vertical
position certainly exaggerates mattters. Anyway, I bought another seal
from
Moss on speculation & it appears to be closer in appearance to the
original
one removed. Making a short story long, was the consensus that the
rawhide
type seal was a better fit in the housing than the synthetic
alternatives?