Differential Pinion Seal - TR-4A IRS

To: "Mark Meany" <mark@basecamp.mv.com>
Subject: Differential Pinion Seal - TR-4A IRS
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:00:07 -0500
Cc: "TriumphTeam" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Mark Meany"
>I replaced my old leather based seal, which didn't leak, with a new
synthetic material seal from TRF back a few months ago. The diff was out of
the car (still is) so I figured what the heck, might as well take care of
it. I had to fight a bit to get the new seal in & I wouldn't doubt if I
inadvertantly distorted its shape. Afterwards, I carefully stood the diff
up
on the pinion flange & put in probably a half a cup of 90 wt gear oil. It
leaks through the new seal. Not major amounts & granted the vertical
position certainly exaggerates mattters. Anyway, I bought another seal from
Moss on speculation & it appears to be closer in appearance to the original
one removed. Making a short story long, was the consensus that the rawhide
type seal was a better fit in the housing than the synthetic alternatives?
<

Mark, make sure the oil isn't leaking past the splines between the flange
and the pinion shaft.  Since the seal makes contact with the flange itself
there is no seal on the shaft and oil can leak out that way.  A little
non-hardening gasket sealer may do the trick.

Cheers

Dave