Re: TR4 Steel Wheel Color

To: geohahn@theriver.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Steel Wheel Color
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:11:13 EST
In a message dated 10-Jan-02 21:30:49 Eastern Standard Time,
geohahn@theriver.com writes:

> My Piggott books shows only TR4s with wires and all my other books have
> only b&w photos so I'll turn to the list.  Would a 1964 TR4's disc
> wheels have been silver (like a late '3) or a sort of almond color or
> something else entirely?

George, the early TR4 disc wheels were the same as the TR3A.  I have both
Piggott books and there is a little more info in the earlier book.

The wheels were described by the factory as "silver laquer" or "aluminum
wheel paint."  Piggott's earlier book ("Original Triumph TR") says, in the
TR3 section, that it is not definitely known whether the two named colors
were identical.  Maybe someone on the list with a TR3 (or a TR4 with original
discs) can identify an exact or matching color.

That said let me add that my '64 TR4 came with the optional 60 spoke wire
wheels which (according to Piggott) were the same color as the discs.  When I
replaced the wheels in '93, I bought Dayton wheels from TRF and the color of
the new wheels was a match to the originals.  You might want to check with
TRF (or Dayton) to see what color they use.

BUT a service bulletin (of which I have a copy) issued by the NY, NJ and Pa.
Triumph distributor in '63 says  that TR4 disc wheels were then changed to
Spa White for all body colors.  We surmise that this was because the factory
changed the body color to "New White" and had a lot of "Spa White" paint
leftover.  So if your car is Comm number CT 18604 or earlier it would have
come with silver and CT 18605 or later "Spa White."

Hope that helps.  As always, if you need more info come back to me.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT 33118L (original owner/factory pickup)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant