Re: GT6 engines

To: elliottr@rmi.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 engines
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:35:57 EST
In a message dated 1/11/02 1:09:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, elliottr@rmi.net
writes:

> I just bought a 68 GT6 - body is in good shape almost no rust, but needs a
> paint job.  The engine is bad (making knocking noises).
>
> I have a 70 GT6 that I was going to rebuild, but came to the conclussion
> that it wasn't worth it - the only good parts on the body are the roof,
> windshield frame and bonnet.  There are essentially no floor boards,
> rockers, fenders etc.
>
> So here is my question.  Which engine should I rebuild?  The 70 engine is
> supposed to have better breathing with larger valves, better cam and
> different intake manifold.  The 68 would keep the originality

Well Roger...
First I have to tell you that the idea of buying a 2nd GT6+ because the first
one turned out to be a mess is exactly how I came to own three of them !
Let me warn you :   now that you've bought the 2nd one, people who know
this will start to tell you about other opportunities to pick up another one,
finally  people you've never met will start to call and email asking if you
want
another one - each oppurtunity will become harder to pass up because you
will start to feel that these forlorn, neglected little hardtops actually
need you !
....at least thats how it happened to me....sorta.....

anyway about the engines - isn't the 68 the one that had the really, you
almost
neverseeonelikeit, wierd looking block with exposed valve tubes ?? or
something like that ? (none of mine are that early) If so, I'd rebuild it and
keep it with the 68 just for the coolness of the rarity factor - Besides,
later
on someone will GIVE you a good GT6 body shell they didn't need after they
built
a "spit 6" and then you will be able to restore the 70 too !

I have to go now, i just read an ad for a 70 GT6+ for sale ...it probably
needs me !

Cheers

Jack Mc
73 TR6
2 69 GT6+s
70 GT6+
"A gentleman does not motor about after dark" Joseph Lucas