Wheels: Minilite replicas vs. Panasports

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheels: Minilite replicas vs. Panasports
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:23:07 -0800 (PST)
As usual, Jack Drew is spot on with his info.

I have a set of the 15/5.5" K&Ns from Moss on my TR4.  The have a painted
finish on them. ( Probably powdercoat ) They are somewhat heavy. I've
never had a clearance problem with the rim on the A-arms with these. They
are made in the UK. For me they have performed well, and they look nice.

I am told that a few years back, Moss sold the TR2-6 K&Ns with a set of
spacers to go behind the rim so the wheel would clear the caliper. Then
they started a new series with the correct offset that did not require the
spacers. Something to consider if buying an older used set.

I think the Panasports are machined with clear coat on the outter rim, and
definitely lighter.  A true performance wheel. The ones I've seen were
from Japan. They appear to be a little deeper from the outside than the
k&n rims.

REAL Minilites are quite expensive I understand. As I've never picked one
up, I don't know where they would fall on the weight lineup, but I suspect
they're going to be very near the Panasports.

I still have my original 15/4.5" steel wheels in the back of the garage.
I've considered having wider rims welded on to them so as to have a set of
rims for slicks. Has anyone ever tried that?

-jeffrey