Re: TR4 Steel Wheel Color

To: dfullam@albany.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Steel Wheel Color
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:56:54 EST
Cc: geohahn@theriver.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 11-Jan-02 21:18:31 Eastern Standard Time,
dfullam@albany.net writes:

> My 63 TR4 (CT19207L) came with the silver colored wheels. The car was
> built approx. Jan 14, and I bought it July 23. I still have the original
> wheels, but they haven't been on the car since 1969.
>
> This is not to say that somebody didn't do a swap in the 6 months the
> car was in the pipeline. The BMIHT certificate says it had a black top
> and tonneau cover, but the ones on the car when I bought it were white.
>
> Cheers,

Peter, this issue is an old one.  It pops up about evry 3 or 4 years.  It
appears the only documentation we have been able to find was the US
Distributor's letter from January 2, 1963.  My interpolation of the numbers
was based on that.

However thank you for your input.  It could be from what you say that the
factory either did not implement the change in paint until after your build
date of 12 Jan '63 or they were painting some cars' wheels silver and some
white for awhile.  (Or as you said, "This is not to say that somebody didn't
do a swap in the 6 months the car was in the pipeline.").  Maybe some other
original owners will pop up with more info.  It would be nice if we could
clear this up once and for all.  Ha!

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT 33118L (original owner/factory pickup)  Glad that the
"pipeline" was not involved in that transaction
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant