Re: TR4 Steel Wheel Color

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Steel Wheel Color
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 09:59:21 EST
Cc: ArthurK101@aol.com
My 63 TR4 (CT19207L) came with the silver colored wheels. The car was
built approx. Jan 14, and I bought it July 23. I still have the original
wheels, but they haven't been on the car since 1969.

  It could be from what you say that the
factory either did not implement the change in paint until after your build
date of 12 Jan '63 or they were painting some cars' wheels silver and some
white for awhile.

Art,

It is my opinion that your above comment is in fact the true story here.
Especially in regard to early TR4`s.  There is a lot of evidence that the
Triumph factory was interchanging other old parts and new parts and not
necessarily ending at one commission number and starting up with the next.  I
think this is the case with the short and long bubble bonnets, prop rods for
the boots, gauge center pieces and others.  If you think about it not many
companies were run with a first in first out inventory or a just in time
delivery philosophy 40 years ago.  I know in my business even today if I am
making a change I sometimes send the new parts out in advance of making a
total switch to see how they perform and are accepted.  Kind of a trial
balloon concept.  I think we can only use the information we have to say that
new parts were introduced at this commission number instead of thinking that
all cars right after the switch had the new parts.

This is just IMHO,
Darrell Floyd
VTR Chief Judge