engine vibration revisted - please read and think a moment!

To: <triumphs-owner@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: engine vibration revisted - please read and think a moment!
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 13:36:11 -0500
For those not remembering.....
I had a strange vibration at 2.5-3krpm in
my '75 Spit

at road speed, whether in gear, or in neutral
drifting at speed, ...revving the engine it vibrated.

Well I just pulled the tranny again (man I'm
getting good at this)

With a jack to support the motor, clutch still attached
I fired it up. NO VIBRATION AT ANY SPEED!

So... if drifting at speed in neutral, engine idling...
doesn't vibrate, and now with the tranny out
and no vibration regardless of engine speed...
would I be correct in assuming it HAS to be the
input shaft on the tranny...either the input end in
the crank or the bearing on the input shaft
in the tranny ?  bent input shaft?   yes there is a bit
of 'forceable' movement on the input shaft!

HELP I need ideas... suggestions... even wisecracks
accepted at this point.

tia

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com