Troubleshooting TR6 Horn

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Troubleshooting TR6 Horn
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 10:33:34 -0800 (PST)
I recently fixed my TR4 horn which had an intermittant connection, i.e., I
could depress the horn button and turn the wheel, and at various points it
would honk.

I checked and cleaned the horn button, and the spring-loaded insulated
shaft between the horn button and the contact plate under the steering
wheel.

Thought perhaps I had a dirty contact plate beneath the steering wheel.
Pulled wheel, cleaned plate, no change.

Looked in the factory manual and saw I had a piece missing from my
installation.

The PO had replaced the two rubber couplings on the steering shaft, but
did not replace the ground strap which passes though the couplings.

Made some up real quick and then the horn setup worked fine.

Why did the horn work intermittantly before? The steering wheel was coming
in light contact with the steering column in a couple of spots.

That's a TR4.  Not sure if it's the same on your TR6.

G'luck.

-jeffrey