Re: TR3A with Yellow Frame

To: <TR250Driver@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A with Yellow Frame
From: "elliottd" <elliottd@look.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:07:39 -0500
<TR250Driver@aol.com> Darrell wrote

There is precedence for this since some TR3A's got Powder Blue
> frames!  The story circulating is that there was a glut of Powder Blue
paint
> so the factory just used it up on some frames.  I have seen a couple of
show
> cars done up this way that are both Signal Red with the Powder Blue
frames.
> They are really kind of cool.  Anyone else out there with a Powder Blue
> frame?  Scratch some of that muffle coat off, you might have one and not
even
> know it.
> Just Curious,
> Darrell

When I was doing my full body-off restoration from 1987 to 1990, I used a
propane torchand paint thinner to remove the dealer-applied tar-based
undercoating.  The frame, where it wasn't rusty, was pale yellow and the TR
choice of colors did not yet include "pale yellow" or whatever it's called
as a TR color in 1958.  I wrote to Bill Piggott and he did a lot of checking
and came back with "no records or evidence of anything other than black.  In
England, the frame and everything under a car is cattled the blackworks".

So I did it black instead of yellow.

There you are Darrell, "now you have the rest of the story" and next year
you can dock me a few points in the concours because my car has a black
frame and is not as it was "originally",

Confession by:...

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, TS 27489 LO
Montreal, Canada