Re: TR3A's with Powder Blue Frames

To: michaelgajic@hotmail.com, TR250Driver@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A's with Powder Blue Frames
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:14:10 EST
In a message dated 1/13/2002 6:39:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
michaelgajic@hotmail.com writes:

> FWIW the previous owner of my TR4 owns a TR3A with a red frame, painted that
>
> way from the factory. He speculates that the factory may have painted them
> red for some cars that were to be raced so that crack would show more
> readily. Any confirmation of this type of thing happening?
>
>From all I've read over the years, "Works" race or rallye cars usually had
chassis painted WHITE or LIGHT GREY -- to help spot cracks more easily. This
appears to have been done on some of the prototypes as well. One example of
this is "412 VC" -- one of the original Spitfire 4 prototypes. This car was
used for many of the early publicity photos and sales brochures, and a close
look at some of those photos clearly shows a greyish-white chassis under the
Signal Red car.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.