Re: [net] Grilling in New England

To: net@lists.mv.net
Subject: Re: [net] Grilling in New England
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:24:07 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Rick Barnard wrote:

> Hello List,

Hello.

>       This started as a little job: mounting a VTR badge and a New
> England Triumphs badge to my TR6, and I got shipwright's disease....

Kool - another frame up on the same car. Alright!

>       I have removed the grille assembly in order to design and fit a
> badge bracket.
>       Is the front valence behind the grille, or any part of the inner
> headlight surrounds, supposed to be matte black?  Mine's all body
> color, but it was resprayed by the PO.

The area behind the grill should be matte black. There is debate about
whether the headlight surround portion of the fender should be matte, but
I don't recall that it is/was. The flat section behind the grille should
def. be matte black.

>       The grille assembly is badly rusted in places.  After cleanup,
> is the correct paint finish matte black, along with the "front apron
> finisher" strip?

This is a tough one. The grill is made of aluminium, clad steel and
stainless. The clad steel rusts (in the corners, especially). You can
dismantle the whole thing and paint it (the steel surround comes off with
some pop-rivets), but getting paint to stick to aluminium is possibly
tricky without using a primer like zinc-chromate. Then repairing the
steel/clad surround is most likely labor intensive... the stainless cleans
up really nice.

To be honest, the last time through, I just plunked down $130 to one of
the big three and bought a new grill. It looks awesome.

>       Is there any way to "restore" the finish on the enamel TR6 badge?
>Mine's a bit pitted
> after 133,000 miles.

Good luck! It's a baked enamel process.

What about Juan's badge????