Re: Jolly Hockey Sticks

To: <SDOliner@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Jolly Hockey Sticks
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:58:22 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dave Oliner wrote:
And while we are on handling, has anyone ever tried to put a Mini
drive train
into a Spridget?

Yes - both Donald Healey and BL. We have an example of each at Gaydon.
The Healey design was done in 1966, the BL version in about 1970.
Although prototypes, they're pretty little cars - one is a soft top,
t'other a fixed head, though the latter started life as a Mini 1275GT
and was modified in Italy by (I think) Michelotti. A variety of
reasons why they didn't progress any further, though the most popular
are/were:
1. Likely rejection by the US market of a front wheel drive sports
car, and
2. The difficulties associated with getting the 'A' series engine to
conform to ever increasing emission controls. BL didn't have the
financial resources to develop another engine to replace the 'A'
series and the Triumph front wheel drive power unit/transmission set
up was too high to fit without a major bonnet bulge. I guess there
were many other equally valid reasons too.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 Triumph 2.5PI, TED 152318 1950 Ferguson TED20